Deep Woods Estate and Fogarty Wine Group Chief Winemaker, Julian Langworthy, was last night awarded one of Australia’s highest wine honours, being named Winemaker of the Year by James Halliday in the Halliday Wine Companion 2019.
In presenting the award, James offered his thoughts on Julian: “What is one word that describes a great wine? I think many people would say balance. And that’s what his wines have beyond compare.”
Julian is the first winemaker from Margaret River, and only the second winemaker from Western Australia, to be awarded Winemaker of the Year by James Halliday.
Julian accepted the award at the presentation evening at the National Gallery of Victoria, in front of some 300 peers and key industry leaders where he expressed how humbled he was to be recognised by James who he has admired his entire career.
Peter Fogarty, Chairman of Fogarty Wine Group which owns Deep Woods Estate, congratulated Julian and his team. “This award is a testament to the outstanding capability and work ethic of Julian. It highlights the team leadership qualities and winemaking skills Julian has put in place since he joined our Group. Julian and the team at Deep Woods can be proud of this award as we continue to produce some of Australia’s most awarded Rosés, Chardonnays and Cabernets.”
This achievement caps off an incredible few years for Deep Woods Estate. Some of the awards bestowed upon the winery include:
• Halliday Wine Companion – Top Cabernet 2018
• Halliday Wine Companion – Top Rosé 2017 and 2018
• Stodart Trophy Winner 2017
• Winery of the Year – Ray Jordan 2017
• Wine of the Year – Ray Jordan 2017
• Winemaker of the Year – Ray Jordan 2017
• Royal Melbourne Wine Awards, Best Cabernet or Cabernet Blend – four consecutive years 2013 to 2017
• Halliday Chardonnay Challenge Winner 2015
• Jimmy Watson Memorial Trophy Winner 2016
• Max Schubert Trophy – two-time Winner 2014 and 2016
In the Halliday Wine Companion 2019 Deep Woods was again awarded the highest winery rating of Five Red Stars, signifying an “outstanding winery regularly producing wines of exemplary quality and typicity”.
The following scores were awarded:
• 97 Points – 2016 Deep Woods Reserve Chardonnay
• 96 Points – 2017 Deep Woods Estate Sauvignon Blanc (sold out, 2018 now available)
• 96 Points – 2015 Deep Woods Hillside Cabernet Sauvignon
• 95 Points – 2017 Deep Woods Estate Chardonnay
• 95 Points – 2015 Deep Woods Hillside Chardonnay
• 95 Points – 2017 Deep Woods Harmony Rosé (sold out, 2018 now available)
• 95 Points – 2017 Deep Woods Estate Rosé
• 94 Points – 2017 Deep Woods Ivory Semillon Sauvignon Blanc
• 94 Points – 2016 Deep Woods Estate Cabernet Sauvignon Merlot